Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Memorial to Max and Marley























The ducks have come and gone on the farm.
Their names were Max and Marley; Max was the girl and Marley was the boy. Their life came to an end sadly and violently, for they were killed by some cruel beast. The ducks were friendly and I wish that they hadn't been killed. But nature took its course.

This is how it happened:
When I got home from the store with mom one day, I saw only Marley down with the chickens. I walked over to the other side of the house and saw, to my dismay, a headless duck lying on the lawn. I was so sad I could barely shout, "Mom something got the duck!".
The next day, Marley was looking all over for Max, quacking his whispery quack. Sadly, he too was attacked. I found him in the lower field terribly wounded. Mom, Zach and I tried to nurse him back to health. We cleaned and treated his wounds, laid him in a sled padded with hay and a nice warm towel, covered him with more warm towels, and gave him water to drink through a turkey baster, but it just wasn't good enough. Marley's wounds were too severe.
He passed away two and a half hours later.
This post is a memorial to the birds that I was honored to own.

4 comments:

  1. No picture was posted?

    Yes it was sad to lose our ducks. Loss is never easy. Remember the fun you had with them and how they touched your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Hannah,

    That was a beautiful memorial for Max and Marley. Very sad. You were a very loving mother/caretaker for those guys. They were blessed to have you.

    Have a beautiful day,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss :( it is very hard to lose an animal or pet that you've raised so tenderly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That certainly is sad! They were lucky to have you. They were a highlight for Dylan and Eli for sure...thanks for taking the time to write this.

    ReplyDelete